- Joaquin Phoenix thanked Heath Ledger during his acceptance speech at the 2020 Screen Actors’ Guild Awards.
- “I’m standing here on the shoulders of my favourite actor Heath Ledger,” he said.
- Phoenix won Best Performance by an Actor in Leading Role in a Motion Picture for his role as the Joker in “Joker.”
- Ledger won a posthumous SAG Award for Supporting Actor in 2009, followed by an Oscar – both also for his roles playing the Joker in “The Dark Knight.”
- Ledger died at the age of 28 an accidental drug overdose.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Phoenix paid a touching tribute to another Joker, calling out “The Dark Knight” actor Heath Ledger as his favourite actor.
“I’m standing here on the shoulders of my favourite actor Heath Ledger,” he said at the end of his speech. “Thank you.”
Phoenix and Ledger never worked together but the two have now both played DC Comics’ iconic villain the Joker.
Ledger won a posthumous Best Supporting Actor SAG Award in 2009 for his role in “The Dark Knight,” and later won the Supporting Actor Oscar, too. He passed away the year before at the age of 28 of an accidental drug overdose.
Watch Phoenix’s full speech at the SAG Awards 2020 below: