- Ryan Shazier made his emotional return to the football world on Thursday night, walking across the stage to announce the Pittsburgh Steelers first-round draft pick.
- Shazier was carted off the field four months ago after a scary hit during a game that caused a spinal injury.
- With the pick, the Steelers welcomed Virginia Tech safety Terrell Edmunds to the team.
Ryan Shazier made his emotional return to the football world on Thursday night, walking across the stage to announce the Pittsburgh Steelers’ first-round draft pick.
Four months earlier, Shazier had taken a scary hit that left him to be carted off the field with a spinal injury.Unexpected surgery followed soon after, and it looked as though his career in the NFL might be over.
Helped by his fiancee Michelle, Shazier made his way across the stage, showing progress in his recovery, and announcing that Virginia Tech safety Terrell Edmunds was the newest member of the Steelers family.
You can watch the moment below.
Shazier still has a long way to go before he’s back on an NFL field, but his walk across the stage was an emotional moment that will go down as one of the most memorable moments of the draft.
More NFL Draft coverage:
- The biggest NFL Draft busts of the last 15 years
- NFL insider Adam Schefter floats wild theory that an NFL team sabotaged Josh Allen with release of insensitive tweets for their gain
- Roger Goodell still got booed at the NFL Draft despite taking measures to avoid the reaction
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW? The last 22 QBs taken in the first round of the NFL Draft and how this year’s crop compares
- Two of the NFL’s most promising teams have one big factor in common – and it shows why so many teams are scrambling to find their franchise quarterback in the 2018 NFL Draft
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.