Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Wednesday called the “reckless” expansion of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation a mistake that would hurt Europe’s security.
“We believe, and we’ve been talking about it since the very beginning of the current historical period that the reckless, endless expansion of NATO is a mistake that undermines Europe’s stability,” Lavrov told a news conference with Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto.
Lavrov added that Ukraine’s neutral status was key for security and the country’s national interests.
(Reporting by Gabriela Baczysnka; Writing by Lidia Kelly, editing by Elizabeth Piper)
More from Reuters:
- You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out: Watchdog Lists ’10 Worst’ Holiday Toys
- U.S. SEC To Enact Rules To Protect Exchanges, Dark Pools From Glitches
- Texas Woman Sues Family After Her Dogs Kill Neighbour’s Pet Beagle
- Hackers To Probe Cyber Crime Defenses At British Banks
- Five Dead After Western NY Gets Year’s Worth Of Snow In Four Days
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.