- People on Twitter are comparing the crowd at the royal wedding to Trump’s 2017 inauguration.
- There appears to be a stark difference.
- You be the judge.
People are comparing the turnout for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s royal wedding to that of Trump’s inauguration – and the pictures say a lot.
Over 100,000 people are estimated to have lined the procession route on Saturday, May 19 in Windsor, England, where the new Duke and Duchess of Sussex tied the knot at St George’s Chapel.
Here’s what the crowd looked like at its fullest as Markle approached:
BBC Three shared a tweet comparing the crowd to that of Donald Trump’s inauguration as US President on January 20, 2017.
just saying ¯_(ツ)_/¯ pic.twitter.com/1zoOGFKeU3
— BBC Three (@bbcthree) May 19, 2018
There appears to be a pretty stark difference.
However, estimates suggest that around 160,000 people were at the National Mall and surrounding area in the hour leading to Trump’s speech.
While exact figures are unknown for both events, the crowd certainly appeared to be bigger outside of St George’s Chapel.
Thousands of people have responded to the tweet in support of the couple’s union.
J.K. Rowling tweeted the photo with the caption “Love > Hate.”
Love > Hate pic.twitter.com/iDzjmJ9qSt
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) May 19, 2018
Other users are posting photos of other crowds that appear to have been bigger than the inauguration, including the Rolling Stones in Brazil…
The Stones in Brazil?? ???????????? pic.twitter.com/laJVYVDQEa
— Back To Reality (@Murphy4Mike) May 19, 2018
Metallica in Russia…
Wrestle fucking Mania. pic.twitter.com/0X1UcOsVl4
— DASH (@DashGamers) May 19, 2018
More on the royal wedding:
- Meet Meghan Markle’s bridesmaids – all of whom are under 10 years old
- Here’s why Meghan Markle doesn’t have a maid of honour
- The guests at the royal wedding are being given goodie bags – here’s what’s inside
- The odds that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s marriage will last forever, according to science
- Queen Elizabeth has a fortune worth over $US500 million – here’s how much the British royal family is worth
You can read all of INSIDER’s royal wedding coverage
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.