- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ended their wedding day with an intimate evening reception hosted by Prince Charles at Frogmore House. It was attended by a select group of 200 guests.
- Guests were reportedly treated to a sit-down meal, and later “dirty burgers” and candyfloss, washed down with rum-and-ginger cocktails called “When Harry Met Meghan.”
- The newlyweds’ first dance was apparently to Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.”
- George Clooney was reportedly seen getting down on the dance floor with both the bride and Duchess of Cambridge. Elton John performed, James Corden compered, and Idris Elba was said to have enjoyed a stint on the decks.
- At 11 p.m. an impressive fireworks show was spotted by local residents.
After what must have been an overwhelming day in front of millions of global viewers, thenewly married Duke and Duchess of Sussex left Windsor Castle on Saturday to attend their evening reception hosted by Prince Charles at Frogmore House in a more intimate affair with only 200 guests.
The pair left the castle in an electronic Jaguar, which came complete with a personalised number plate with the date, 19 May 2018. Harry helped his bride into the car before they drove off across the lush green grounds in the evening summer sunshine.
Markle wore her second gown of the day, a silk halterneck dress by Stella McCartney.
While waving to onlookers, Markle flashed a glimpse of her wedding gift from Harry, an emerald-cut aquamarine ring that belonged to his late mother, Princess Diana.
There were reportedly a number of famous faces among the 200 select guests of the evening reception.
Tennis champion Serena Williams posted this video to Instagram of her on her way to the reception in her second outfit of the day, a Valentino gown. Williams revealed that she had teamed her dress with a pair of sneakers that she says were given to her last minute, presumably so that she was comfortable enough to dance the night away.
She wrote: “Little known fact: I often wear sneakers under my evening gown.”
Williams reportedly also stole the show later on when it came to a beer-pong competition.
Glamour was the order of the evening by the looks of things.
Jessica Mulroney, a close friend of Markle, posted this photo of her evening attire from the Coworth Park Hotel, where she likely stopped off to slip into something more glitzy.
Priyanka Chopra, another friend of Markle, also shared a sneak peek of her sparkly Dior evening gown.
Perhaps one of the best stories of the night to emerge so far is that George Clooney was reportedly seen getting down on the dance floor with both the bride and the Duchess of Cambridge, The Mirror reports.
The newlyweds chose Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” for their first dance, according to The Telegraph.
Actor and comedian James Corden reportedly kept the guests entertained, in his “surprise” role of compere for the evening reception.
A source reportedly told The Sun: “James Corden did his best to entertain and it went down an absolute treat. He even compered a dance-off between Harry, Charles, and William.”
“Everyone was laughing because it’s something no one expected. Meghan and her mum also joined in. Then everyone danced, which really kicked off the party.”
Sir Elton John, who was a close friend of Princess Diana, reportedly kept the party alive with performances of four of his hits.
Idris Elba, who attended the wedding with his model fiancée, Sabrina Dhowre, apparently played a DJ set.
After being greeted with canapes and fizz, guests are understood to have been treated to a sit-down meal from 7.30 p.m. to 10 p.m., according to MailOnline.
Later, a style of indulgent burgers they called “dirty burgers” and candy floss (cotton candy) were served, the paper reports, washed down with rum-and-ginger cocktails called “When Harry Met Meghan.” We already know that Harry’s a big fan of rum. His favourite cocktail is apparently a “treasure chest” from Mahiki.
At 11 p.m. local time, an impressive fireworks display was spotted by local Windsor residents.
While the main speeches took place at the lunchtime reception, Prince Harry reportedly got big laughs when he added to the crowd: “Please, when you leave, be quiet as you don’t want to wake the neighbours.”
More on the royal wedding:
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are officially married – here’s a timeline of everything that happened
- Here are the photos of Meghan Markle’s wedding dress and veil, which features hand-embroidered flowers from all 53 Commonwealth nations
- People are comparing the crowd at the royal wedding to Trump’s inauguration – and the pictures say a lot
- 11 candid photos of the royal family at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding
- People are convinced Prince Harry said ‘I’m sh—ing it’ to Meghan Markle at the altar
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.