- Hinge is a popular dating app that has recently added a new feature called Roses, in a move that mirrors both “The Bachelor” franchise and Tinder’s Super Likes.
- A Rose is an enhanced form of the Like button, and indicates you are especially interested in the person. If you send a Rose, you go to the top of the person’s Likes You feed.
- You only get one free Rose each week to share with other users, but you can buy more starting at $US3.99 each.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Hinge is a dating app that got its start in 2012, with the tagline that it’s the dating app “for people who want to get off dating apps.” It’s a service with a mission of setting up successful, long-term relationships, marketing to users that the app is designed to be deleted. A rival to Bumble and Tinder, Hinge prides itself in being the relationship app, based on its personality-based user interface that features short prompts as conversation starters, in addition to photos.
Recently, Hinge added a new feature to help accelerate the search for a partner: Roses. Roses are similar to Super Likes on Tinder — you have a limited number of them, so if you send a Rose to another user, it’s a strong indication you are particularly interested in that person. Since Hinge Roses are hard to come by, it’s advised to use them sparingly or else you may find yourself on a sudden spending binge.
How to get Roses on Hinge
Hinge provides you with one free Rose per week. You can use that Rose to like someone in your Discover feed, and once sent, you will get another at the start of the following week (Hinge resets your Roses on Sunday).
If you want additional Roses without the hassle of waiting a week, they are available for purchase. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Tap the star-shaped Standouts button in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen and then tap “Roses” at the top right. The Standouts page provides you with 10 new profiles daily that are considered to have “outstanding” Prompts based on your previous user activity â€” you can only send Roses in this tab. (You can see how many Roses you have in parenthesis in the Roses button at the top.)
2. In the pop-up window, tap the number of Roses you want to add to your collection â€” you can buy Roses one at a time (for $US3.99 each), or in sets of six (for $US19.99), or 12 (for $US29.99).
3. Complete the transaction using your phone’s payment method.
How to send Roses on Hinge
To send a Rose, do this:
1. Tap the Like button in the lower right corner of someone’s photo or prompt as you would normally do.
2. Add a comment if you’d prefer, and then, rather than tapping “Send Like,” tap the Rose icon right next to it. Be sure not to tap the Rose until after you write your note, because the Rose will be sent immediately.
3. After you send the Rose, your recipient will get a notification and your profile will appear at the front of their Likes You feed (the heart-shaped icon in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen). Because you sent a Rose, your profile will appear above other users who only sent a like, which is intended to give your profile priority and may help you get additional attention.
To increase your chances of finding a match, it’s important to fill out your profile with care and attention to detail. Choose your photos and prompts in the way that best represents you and highlights your best qualities. The Rose feature just helps give your profile the push it deserves and lets recipients know you went the extra mile to match with them.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.