- You can use Apple AirPlay to stream content to your Roku from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
- On an iPhone or iPad, you can also select “Screen Mirroring” in the Control Center to cast your screen to your Roku.
- Roku and AirPlay are compatible with most media apps like Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Spotify, Apple Music, and more.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
AirPlay, a useful casting feature on Apple products, allows you to stream media from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to many different Roku models. That means you can display videos, photos, and other media on your TV.
You can AirPlay content to your Roku from directly within apps and websites – like Hulu or HBO Max – on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Or, you can mirror your entire screen to your Roku from the Control Center on your iPhone or iPad, or from the menu bar on your Mac.
Here’s how to do it all.
Set up AirPlay on Roku
1. Make sure your Apple device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku device.
2. Check that AirPlay is turned on on your Roku device:
- In the Roku home menu, scroll down to “Settings.”
- In the Settings menu, scroll down and select “Apple AirPlay and HomeKit.”
- Ensure that AirPlay is set to “On.”
How to AirPlay from an iPhone or iPad to Roku
On your iPhone or iPad, find the song, video, photo, podcast, or other media you’d like to stream to your TV.
The next step changes depending on what app you’re trying to stream from. Here are some of the most common examples:
From the Spotify app:
1. Tap the “Devices” button in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
2. In the “Listening On” menu, tap “AirPlay or Bluetooth.”
3. Tap the name of your Roku TV.
From the Photos app:
1. Tap the “Share” button in the bottom-left corner.
2. Scroll down on the Share menu until you see “AirPlay,” and tap it.
3. Tap the name of your TV in the pop-up.
From the Apple Music app:
1. Tap the AirPlay button at the bottom-center of the screen (the icon looks like three concentric circles with a triangle underneath).
2. Tap the name of your device.
From Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and other mobile streaming apps:
1. On the mobile app, begin playing the video you want to watch.
2. Tap the AirPlay icon at the top of the video screen (the icon looks like a square with a triangle underneath it).
3. In the pop-up, select your Roku device from the list of compatible AirPlay devices.
How to screen mirror from an iPhone or iPad to Roku
If you want to mirror your entire iPhone or iPad screen to your Roku instead of streaming content directly from an app, you can use the “Screen Mirroring” option in the Control Center.
1. Open the Control Center on your device. On most recent devices, the Control Center can be accessed by swiping down from the upper-right corner of your home screen or lock screen. On older devices (those without a home button), access the Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of the home screen or lock screen.
2. Tap “Screen Mirroring” in the Control Center.
3. In the pop-up, select the name of your Roku device.
4. An AirPlay passcode may appear on your Roku screen – if so, enter the code in the pop-up on your iPhone or iPad.
5. Your entire iPhone or iPad screen should then begin mirroring onto your Roku.
How to AirPlay or screen mirror from Mac to Roku
Just like on the iPhone and iPad, you can AirPlay or screen mirror from your Mac to Roku.
To screen mirror your Mac to Roku:
1. Make sure the AirPlay option is turned on on your Mac computer. If you don’t see the AirPlay icon (a square with a triangle popping out of it) in the menu bar at the top of your screen, open System Preferences and select “Displays.” At the bottom of the Displays page, check the box next to “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available.”
2. Once the AirPlay option is turned on and you’re in range of your Roku TV, you can then click the AirPlay button in the menu bar at the top of your screen and select your Roku device from the list.
3. An AirPlay passcode may appear on your Roku screen – if so, enter the code in the pop-up on your Mac.
4. Your entire Mac screen should then begin mirroring onto your Roku.
To AirPlay from Mac to Roku:
1. Go to the website or app – like Hulu or Amazon Prime Video – you want to AirPlay from, and begin playing the video.
2. Click the AirPlay icon in the video playback controls – depending on the site, it’s usually located in the upper-left or upper-right corner.
3. Select your Roku device in the pop-up, and your content should begin playing on your TV screen.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.