- “The Batman” director Matt Reeves teased the first look of Robert Pattinson as the next incarnation of the Dark Knight.
- Reeves shared a video on Vimeo showing a camera test with Pattinson in the new Batsuit.
- The video, shrouded in black and red, shows off a sleek, futuristic logo.
- “The Batman” will be in theatres June 25, 2021.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
We finally have our first look at Robert Pattinson‘s Batman suit and it looks futuristic.
Take a look:
The 55-second video doesn’t show much, but we do get a small look at a new Bat logo, which looks sleek and futuristic.
It also features a “Batman” theme from composer Michael Giacchino (“Doctor Strange,” “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”).
The video, showcasing red and black colours, is giving us serious “Batman: Beyond” vibes. The animated series followed a futuristic Batman, Terry McGinnis, whose suit was black and red. He was an apprentice, and later revealed to be a son, to the original Batman, Bruce Wayne.
Before you get your hopes up for a film centered around McGinnis, Warner Bros. confirmed Pattinson will play a version of Wayne.
In a January press release, Warner Bros. announced Pattinson will be playing “Gotham City’s vigilante detective, Batman, and billionaire Bruce Wayne.”
Almost immediately after the camera test was revealed, fans began theorizing the new Bat symbol has a heartbreaking connection to Batman’s superhero origin. Fans think the Batsuit logo may be made out of the gun that was used to murder Bruce Wayne’s parents. Pattinson’s Batman may be wearing it as a symbol to remind himself of why he put on the cape and cowl to fight crime.
It’s not that far-fetched. Detective Comics No. 1000 shows Wayne melt down his parents’ murder weapon into a protective shield under his Bat symbol.
Principal photography on next summer’s movie began January 28. Reeves shared the announcement on Twitter by sharing a clapper with the film’s logo.
— Matt Reeves (@mattreevesLA) January 27, 2020
Zoë Kravitz (“Mad Max: Fury Road”) stars as Catwoman/Selina Kyle, Jeffrey Wright (“Westworld”) plays James Gordon, and Colin Farrell will play Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin. Peter Sarsgaard was cast as Gotham D.A. Gil Colson. (That could be an undercover/fake name for Harvey Dent/Two-Face.)
Kravitz recently told Variety she received more texts and calls after landing the role of Catwoman than she did on her birthday or wedding day.
“The Batman” will be in theatres June 25, 2021.
- Read more:
- Robert Pattinson was ‘furious’ when the news leaked that he may be the next Batman because he thought he may lose the role
- Robert Pattinson is happy with the reception to him playing Batman compared to what he got during ‘Twilight’
- Women are cheering a small moment in ‘Birds of Prey’ where Harley Quinn hands Black Canary a hair tie
- The ‘Birds of Prey’ costume designer walks us through creating some of Harley Quinn’s colourful looks
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.