New Developments Come To Light As We Retrace The Chilling Route Of Alleged Murderer Staff Sgt. Robert Bales

bale villagers

Photo: SBS Dateline

The story of Staff Sgt. Robert Bales — the soldier charged with shooting dead several Afghan villagers — slipped off the radar for some time as the fog of legal proceedings descended.But the Associated Press now reports a new development in Bales’ case. The Army has dropped one murder charge — from 17 — but it’s also slapped on others:

Bales now faces 16 counts of premeditated murder; six of attempted murder; seven of assault; one of possessing steroids; one of using steroids; one of destroying a laptop computer; one of burning bodies; and one of using alcohol.

His lawyer, Attorney Emma Scanlan, told the AP she just received the new charges on Friday. The Army also handed over 5,000 pages of discovery material — information collected before trial — so that all parties can go to court with as much knowledge as possible. There aren’t supposed to be any secrets.

Bales has previously claimed he doesn’t remember anything from the night. 

The number of people he’s accused of killing has been a point of contention, with villagers mounting some shocking accusations of there being more than one soldier involved in the massacre. 

Yalda Hakim at SBS Network and cameraman Ryan Sheridan were the first Western journalists to retrace Bales’ steps from Camp Belambai, in Kandahar province, to the nearby villages where he opened fire on sleeping families earlier this year.

With extraordinary access, Hakim spoke with the survivors — including young children — about what happened. Bales’ legal team has previously complained they were barred from speaking to witnesses, so Hakim’s report is a rarity. 

The night of March 11, Robert Bales slipped off base and melted into the small Afghan village of Alkozai

Once there he opened fire upon scores of sleeping men, women and children — like this boy who was narrowly missed by a bullet that struck just under his head

Bales was stationed at Camp Belambai and it's unclear how he made his way past security and off the base alone, at night

Once in Alkozai, Bales went door-to-door shooting everyone whose doors were unlocked

When he concluded some unknown schedule in Alkozai, Bales made his way through the dark back to Camp Belambai where he was spotted by an Afghan guard

Though he had heard the shots, this guard let Bales back on base without detaining him

Australian journalist Yalda Hakim is the first Western journalist to visit the village and she talked to witnesses and retraced Bales' steps that night into the bloodstained homes

Source: Bloomberg

The village is in a Taliban stronghold and Bales was constantly on patrol — it was his fourth tour on the front lines

She survived the night with a shot to her leg

Bales returned to his base, where Afghan soldiers were on guard duty

At 02:30 in the morning, Bales left base again and this time headed south to the village of Najiban where he again went door-to-door shooting Afghans

President Karzai's chief investigator General Karimi says villagers saw different boot prints and evidence of a kneeling position of up to four different people

The villages Alkozai and Najiban have now been heavily mined with insurgent IEDs in retaliation for the shootings

Again, Bales walked back to Camp Belambai. By this time, an Afghan guard had sounded the alarm that an American had left the base. He was stopped and surrendered without a fight

Robert Bales was whisked out of Afghanistan, infuriating the local population and Afghan investigators. He's now in custody at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, awaiting his fate

There is still much more to be discovered

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.