- Getty Images / Koki NagahamaDrake and Rihanna lead MTV’s Video Music Awards nominations with five apiece. Katy Perry received four nominations while Lady Gaga received a shocking zero. Is Mother Monster slipping? The awards take place September 6.
- CBS pulls dating show “3” after two episodes. The reality love series airing Sunday nights had the lowest rating of any new series the network has ever aired.
- Author, essayist, and stage and screen writer, Gore Vidal has passed away at 86.
- After receiving 15,000 submissions, YouTube has picked 10 short films to send to the Venice Film Festival. Ridley Scott oversaw the site’s first Your Film Festival contest which asked users to submit their own productions.
- NBC may not want him, but the other networks do. Ousted “Community” creator Dan Harmon has signed a blind script deal with CBS. This comes shortly after news that Harmon is in talks to sign with Fox for a new comedy.
- The third day of the Olympics featuring Missy Franklin’s Olympic gold win became the most-watched event in 36 years with 31.6 million viewers Monday night.
- Ricky Gervais announced a new web series, “Learn English With Ricky Gervais” on his blog. The comedian says the first episode should be free, but after that he’s not sure if he’ll charge a fee or look for sponsorship.
- Ron Howard is working on a new project about the Spanish conquest in Mexico for Showtime, fittingly called “Conquest.”
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.