- The cast of beloved television show “Parks and Recreation” reunited at the 2019 PaleyFest to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the show’s premiere in April 2009.
- Retta, who played Donna Meagle, wore a showstopping pink dress.
- At second glance, fans realised there was a reference to one of her most iconic moments from the show.
- The lower half of the dress was covered in the phrase “Treat Yo’ Self,” a phrase which first appeared in a season four episode and became one of the most quoted lines from the show.
Predictably, it was lovely to see the whole “Parks” crew together again, after all this time. But one of the highlights of the night was realising that Retta, who played office manager Donna, was rocking a dress subtly covered in arguably the most quoted line from the show: “Treat Yo’ Self.”
— Parks and Recreation (@parksandrec) March 22, 2019
Here’s a closer look.
“Treat Yo’ Self” was first said in a season four episode in which Donna and Tom, played by Aziz Ansari, go on a shopping spree, get expensive spa treatments, and generally … treat themselves.
The phrase has become a rallying cry for anyone who really needs to buy that new pair of shoes or book a luxurious vacation.
You can watch the original scene below.
- ‘Ladies celebrating ladies’: Stars honour the women in their lives on Galentine’s Day
- 10 places from your favourite sitcoms you can visit in real life
- ‘Parks and Recreation’ star Nick Offerman on woodworking, patience, and why you should always send a birthday card
- 12 celebrities you forgot guest-starred on ‘Parks and Recreation’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.