Online advertising is booming, but how can publishers ensure they are getting their share of the pie? Through engaging with advertising partners who help them run ads that are relevant to users.
Top analysts such as Mary Meeker predict online ad spending will rise to $50 billion, with at least an additional $11 billion going to digital by 2014.
Innovations in digital advertising technologies, such as display, will be driving a lot of this new spending. Growth in banners, rich media and video are expected to outpace overall ad spending. Contextual solutions, such as Vibrant’s VIA Dynamic display ads, are delivering tremendous results for advertisers, and new, incremental revenue opportunities for publishers.
The company has grown its network of 6,000 premium publishers significantly, with some recent standout signings in the UK, including the Spectator, which has 1.5 million page impressions and is focused on politics and culture; and eHow.co.uk, an online destination helping millions of people accomplish tasks by offering trusted advice, through articles and videos.
Along with following the model of these leading sites, digital publishing experts agree there are guidelines to successfully monetizing content while growing your audience.
Tasha Cunningham, from Bizbytes101.com, writing in the Miami Herald, identified some key steps publishers should follow. These include:
- Install Google Analytics so you can know how many pageviews you’re getting, from where traffic is being referred, what the trends are, etc.
- Check with the Interactive Advertising Bureau to see what kinds and sizes of ad inventory you can sell.
- monetise your RSS feed using tools such as Google Feedburner.
- Work with a contextual advertising partner, such as Vibrant, to make money from your site with ads that are relevant for your users.
Marketers and publishers are increasingly looking to contextual advertising, and its ability to engage consumers in premium relationships that add relevance and value for brands, sites and audience. Ads that are relevant just simply work better, as seen in study after study.
Following the advice and example of leading online properties can yield significant results. Brian White, VP of publisher solutions at Vibrant, offers the following steps for sites to follow for successful monetization through contextual advertising:
- Create quality content around specific topic areas. For in-text contextual ads, categories with high advertiser demand include tech, auto, business & finance, travel, food & beverage, health and home and family.
- Build traffic/audience
- Keep Web page design clean and intuitive
- Ad presence on the page should be economical and streamlined. Don’t overdo it (ie. some sites do overlays, pop-unders, expanding ads, etc. all on one page)
- Length of story matters – longer stories = more variety of words to match = more revenue
With digital advertising growing, smart publishers are implementing strategies to attract a larger share of online brand spending. The premium players are positioning their properties to maximise revenue through contextual advertising that brings value to their audience, without adding clutter to their sites.