- House Democrats are set to vote on an article of impeachment for President Donald Trump for inciting an insurrection on the US Capitol.
- As House members began to debate on Tuesday evening, Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee released a 50-page report outlining the imminent need for Trump to be impeached and removed from office.
- Trump’s term as president is set to end on January 20, but House Democrats contend that his behaviour before and after the riot is an “imminent threat to the United States.”
- Read the full report below.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee released a scathing 50-page report on Tuesday evening laying out supporting evidence for why they say the House should impeach President Donald Trump on a charge of inciting the January 6 insurrection on Capitol Hill.
Three House Republicans â€” Reps. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, and John Katko of New York â€” have come out in favour of impeaching Trump for inciting the riot, with more expected to follow.
Even though Trump is set to leave office on January 20, Democrats contend that he poses an “imminent threat” to the nation’s safety.
“The timeline of events demonstrates that President Trump encouraged and incited the violent and seditious acts that occurred. Moreover, the lawlessness that resulted from President Trump’s conduct was entirely foreseeable by the President,” the report says.
Read the full text of the report below:
Expanded Coverage Module: capitol-siege-updates
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.