- Kevin Durant had to be helped off the court after re-aggravating the injury to his right calf during Game 5 of the NBA Finals.
- Initially, Toronto Raptors fans celebrated as Durant sat injured on the court.
- The Raptors players were quick to scold their fans, who then responded by giving Durant a respectful standing ovation.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Kevin Durant’s first game back at the NBA Finals came to an abrupt stop in the second quarter.
Durant’s status had been a question mark looming over the Finals due to an injury to his right calf, but in Game 5 he played his first minutes of the series, getting off to a hot start with 11 points in 12 minutes after getting the start.
But Durant’s day was seemingly cut short early in the second quarter when he apparently aggravated his calf again, giving up the ball and later being helped off the court.
At first, the Toronto crowd celebrated Durant’s injury, but in a show of great sportsmanship, the Raptors players on the court immediately scolded their behaviour, imploring their fans to stop cheering the injury of their opponent.
The fans seemed to answer the players’ request and wound up giving Durant a standing ovation as he left the court.
You can watch the scene play out below.
Durant still hasn’t returned to the game.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.