Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu on Monday ordered the speeding up of construction of military and civilian infrastructure on a chain of islands in the Pacific Ocean where Moscow and Tokyo have rival territorial claims.
Dispute over the islands, known as the Kuriles in Russia and the Northern Territories in Japan, has strained relations between the two countries since World War Two, when Soviet forces occupied four islands at the southern end of the chain.
Shoigu was speaking in Russia’s Far East city of Vladivostok while inspecting the eastern military district, his ministry said in a statement. It did not provide more detail.
Moscow has angered Tokyo in recent years by having state officials visit the island chain and stepping up military activities there. Japan says the islands are part of its territory and wants Moscow to hand them over.
(Writing by Gabriela Baczynska; Editing by Dominic Evans)
More from Reuters:
- Protesters gather outside Los Angeles mayor’s house over police shooting
- Novartis places big, broad bet on cancer immunotherapy
- U.S. lacks ‘complete strategy’ to help Iraq fight IS: Obama
- U.N. keeps Israel, Hamas off children’s rights blacklist; raps Israel army
- U.S. reports 21 air strikes against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.