Police in three states were searching on Saturday for a gunman who shot and killed a state trooper in a police barracks in Pennsylvania, a police official said.
The shooting, in which a second soldier was wounded, occurred at the Blooming Grove barracks around 11 p.m. EDT on Friday, said Pennsylvania police spokeswoman Connie Devens.
The shooter remained on the loose on Saturday morning, Devens said, prompting a manhunt by police from Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey.
Footage on local television station WNEP showed police cruisers and SWAT vehicles rushing to the scene while a helicopter hovered overhead.
Blooming Grove is a township of roughly 5,000 people near the New York state border.
(Reporting by Curtis Skinner in San Francisco; editing by John Stonestreet)
More from Reuters:
- Vitor Bento Resigns As CEO Of Portugal’s BES Bank Successor
- U.S. Embassy In Uganda Tells Citizens To Seek Shelter Amid Anti-terror Operation
- Tense Stand-off In Pakistani Capital As Political Crisis Drags On
- China’s Hong Kong Chief Says Remarks To Lawmakers Were Misrepresented In Media Reports
- Cars That Drive Themselves Starting To Chat With Each Other
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.