A New Orleans police officer was shot and killed on Saturday while transporting a suspect to prison, and a manhunt was underway for the gunman, officials said.
Daryle Holloway, a 22-year veteran of the New Orleans Police Department, was found in his department vehicle, which had crashed into a utility pole, with a gunshot wound to his body, police said in a statement.
A suspect he had been transporting to an area prison was missing from the car and is the focus of a manhunt for the officer’s murder, police said.
More from Reuters:
- Government investigators blast NHTSA in new safety report
- Los Angeles police shoot unarmed man who raised towel-covered hand
- Anthem offers $US184 per share for Cigna, CEO role holds up deal
- Venezuela says Brazil senators sought to destabilize the country
- Inaction on Mideast peace risks setting conflict ‘ablaze’: France
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.