- A former manager for singer R. Kelly was arrested in Georgia Friday morning after allegedly threatening a family over the phone.
- The threats were reported by a man who has claimed Kelly held his daughter as part of a “sex cult” against her will, most recently appearing in the docu-series “Surviving R. Kelly.”
- James Mason allegedly threatened to kill the man.
A former manager for singer R. Kelly was arrested in Georgia Friday morning after allegedly threatening a family that was featured in the Lifetime docu-series “Surviving R. Kelly,” which details Kelly’s long history of alleged abuse.
Tim Savage, the father of Joycelyn Savage, who was reported to be part of a brainwashed “sex cult” perpetrated by the R&B singer, accused former manager James Mason of making threats over the phone.
Mason allegedly called the family in May and told Savage “I’m gonna do harm to you and your family. When I see you I’m gonna get you. I’m going to (expletive) kill you,” Mason said, according to a police report obtained by Buzzfeed News.After Savage reported the incident, it was filed as a “terroristic threat.”
Savage, who has previously claimed Kelly held his daughter against her will, also told police earlier this month that another former manager for Kelly, Don Russell,texted him that it would be best for him and his family if his role in the documentary did not air.
NBC News reported that Savage also alleged Russell accused him of making false claims and would reveal information that “would ruin him, his reputation, business and family, because it would show him a liar,” according to a police report.
Earlier this month, it was reported that officials in Georgia have launched a criminal investigation into Kelly in connection with the allegations made in the six-part television series.
Several women who were featured in the series said Kelly had sex with them when they were underage; physically and emotionally abused them; and regulated their diets, bowel movements, and outside contact to family members.
Kelly has denied all allegations.
- Read more:
- R Kelly released an explosive new track called ‘I Admit,’ where he addresses the ‘sex cult’ allegations and says he sleeps with ‘young ladies’
- R. Kelly’s ex-wife Andrea Kelly said an online quiz made her realise she was in an abusive relationship – and gave her the courage to leave
- Women are using the hashtag #MuteRKelly to urge the music industry to hold R. Kelly accountable for past sexual abuse allegations
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.