- R. Kelly has been charged with 11 new felony counts of sexual assault and sexual abuse, Chicago news outlets reported Thursday.
- The R&B star already faces 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse and has pleaded not guilty.
- Kelly’s attorney told The Chicago Sun-Times he hadn’t heard from prosecutors yet, but that the allegations contained in the new charges are “old.”
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
The R&B star R. Kelly has been charged with 11 new felony counts of sexual assault and abuse-related charges, The Chicago Sun-Times reportedThursday.
Four of the counts are for aggravated criminal sexual assault, two are for criminal sexual assault by force, two are for aggravated criminal sexual abuse, and three are for aggravated criminal sexual abuse against a victim between the ages of 13 and 16, according to court documents obtained by The Sun-Times.
Kelly is already facing 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse in Chicago, and has pleaded not guilty and denied all allegations of wrongdoing.
New R. Kelly charges by on Scribd
Kelly was also the subject of a recent Lifetime documentary series, “Surviving R. Kelly,” in which multiple women alleged that the singer held them in an abusive, cult-like environment and controlled where they went, to whom they spoke, and even when they used the restroom.
These new charges reportedly stem from an incident in January 2010 and carry a potential maximum sentence of up to 30 years in prison – the most severe sentence facing Kelly yet, according to The Sun-Times.
Kelly is currently free on bond and is set to appear in court to face the new charges on June 6.
Kelly’s attorney, Steve Greenberg, told the newspaper that he has not yet heard from prosecutors about the new charges.
“We’ll see what the charges are, and we’ll proceed accordingly,” he told the newspaper. “I know this much: it’s old. They’re allegations from years ago.”
- Read more:
- R. Kelly’s lawyers say the singer lost a sexual assault court case because he can’t read
- ‘This is how I got to get paid now’: R. Kelly charged fans $US100 for a 28-second performance at a nightclub
- R. Kelly was charged with 10 counts of sexual abuse after decades of accusations. Here are all the allegations against him.
- R. Kelly’s accuser talked publicly about the alleged sexual abuse for the first time, saying ‘I’m not ashamed of my past anymore’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.