- R. Kelly was taken into custody after a child-support hearing on Wednesday in Chicago.
- He had failed to pay his ex-wife Andrea Kelly more than $US161,000 in child support and was taken into custody by Cook County sheriff’s deputies.
- He had until 10 a.m. on Wednesday to make the payment and was warned he would be arrested if he didn’t pay the funds.
- The arrest happened hours after CBS aired an interview in which Kelly screamed and cried while discussing the sexual-abuse allegations against him.
R. Kelly was taken into custody again on Wednesday after a hearing over $US161,000 of unpaid child support.
The singer, whose real name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, was escorted out of a Chicago courtroom after the hearing and taken into custody, Cook County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Sophia Ansari told the Chicago Tribune.
Judge Lori Rosen had warned Kelly last month that he would be arrested unless he paid more than $US161,000 in child support and interest.
He had until 10 a.m. on Wednesday to make the payment and failed to do so, according to the New York Daily News. Ansari did not reveal what Kelly’s new bail would be.
He was taken into custody less than two weeks after being released on bail pending trial on criminal sexual-abuse charges.
Kelly’s latest arrest came hours after CBS aired an interview with him and Gayle King, during which the singer screamed and cursed while discussing the sexual-abuse allegations against him.
Information about Kelly’s child-support payments were made public as part of his criminal court file.
He and his ex-wife Andrea Kelly have three children together: 20-year-old Joann, who goes by Buku Abi, 18-year-old Jay, and 16-year-old Robert Jr.
His oldest, Abi, called her estranged father a “monster” in a January Instagram story, in which she condemned the allegations he is accused of.
Kelly was charged with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse last month, and prosecutors allege that he abused four people, three of whom were underage girls.
Kelly’s bond was set at $US1 million, and he spent a weekend in jail before a 47-year-old Romeoville woman posted his bail.
He has pleaded not guilty to the charges and has denied all wrongdoing.
- Read more about R. Kelly:
- A woman who R. Kelly is accused of holding against her will spoke with her family for the first time in 2 years and said she’s ‘very happy’
- R. Kelly blames the parents of two young women he lives with for giving their daughters up to him in exchange for money
- People are praising Gayle King’s stunning composure while interviewing R. Kelly, and the photos are remarkable
- R. Kelly breaks down in explosive interview denying sexual abuse allegations: ‘You’re killing me with this s—!’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.