The U.S. Internal Revenue Service believes the theft of about 100,000 taxpayers’ personal data from its computer system originated in Russia, CNN reported on Wednesday.
The tax agency’s criminal unit is leading an investigation into the cyber attack, in which criminals stole information through an online IRS application over the course of four months, and the Treasury Department’s inspector general and Department of Homeland Security are also looking into the breach, CNN said.
The IRS would not comment on the hackers’ identities during a news conference on Tuesday when it informed the public of the thefts.
(Reporting by Lisa Lambert; Editing by Sandra Maler)
More from Reuters:
- Wal-Mart, Tracy Morgan settle lawsuit related to accident
- Pentagon chief urges end to island-building in South China Sea
- U.S. military mistakenly transfers live anthrax to laboratory
- Two die in illegal gold mine near Tahoe project in Peru
- Judge upholds U.S. ‘gainful employment’ rules for for-profit colleges