Queen Elizabeth II is 91.
On Friday, April 21, the venerable British monarch celebrated her “real” birthday — because unlike ordinary Brits, she has two birthdays, with her “official” one in June.
On the throne since 6 February, 1952, she has reigned for more than 65 years. She’s the longest-serving British monarch ever, breaking the record set by Queen Victoria, her great-great grandmother, in 2015.
In her life she has seen the rise and fall of innumerable world leaders, great and terrible.
Queen Elizabeth II ascended the throne in the 1950s, a year before the death of Stalin. She has lived through the Second World War, and met with Winston Churchill numerous times. She has also ruled through the US presidencies of Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, and more.
See how the queen’s life and reign stacks up against other political figureheads in the graphic below.
More from Business Insider UK:
- The euro is slipping ahead of the French elections
- LeBron James sucked the life out of the Pacers with an all-time dominant performance to lead the Cavs to a historic comeback
- Here’s why Google went to Burning Man to find their next CEO
- 44-year-old Premier League coach dies after suffering heart attack on training ground
- KFC just revealed a new Colonel Sanders to launch the chain’s ‘biggest stunt’ yet (YUM)
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.