- Farrah Beth Bata and her cousin, Amanda Taylor, discovered a prosthetic leg while swimming in Panama City Beach, Florida.
- Bata posted a photo of the leg in the Facebook group “I Love Panama City Beach,” and finally found the leg’s owner – a 22-year-old woman.
- “Super random question … Anyone missing a leg?” he wrote.
- The woman’s mother said she lost her leg after being knocked down by a wave.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Two cousins in Florida helped reunite a woman with a prosthetic leg they found floating in the Gulf of Mexico.
Farrah Beth Bata and her cousin, Amanda Taylor, were swimming in Panama City Beach, Florida, when they thought they saw a stingray or a shark – but it turned out to be a prosthetic leg.
Bata contacted the Panama City Beach Police in hopes of finding the leg’s owner, then turned to the Facebook group “I Love Panama City Beach” for help.
“Super random question … Anyone missing a leg? Found in the water in front of Whispering Seas,” Bata said in a now-deleted post.
While waiting for a response, Bata emailed the prosthetic’s manufacturer with photos of the leg’s serial number, and handed it over to police for safe keeping, WMMB reported.
But the post immediately started to gain traction in the group, which has 100,000 followers, and soon, the woman was found.
“It somehow got shared so much that the girl that the leg belongs to … her mother, who’s in Arkansas, found it, found the post, and knew that it belonged to her daughter,” Bata told the Panama City News Herald.
In an update to her now-deleted post, Bata said: “The leg’s owner has been found! She’s a 22-year old that was in the ocean when she got knocked down and her prosthetic leg came off!!!”
The News Herald reported that the woman had no time to react to her leg being pulled off, and it was swept away into the water. It’s unclear how long the woman had gone without the prosthetic before Bata found it.
Bata and the leg’s owner are in contact with the Panama City Beach Police. INSIDER has contacted Bata for comment.
- Read more:
- A dirty paper plate once used by Kurt Cobain sold at an auction for $US22,400
- A man was struck in the heart by a stray crossbow arrow and miraculously survived
- A healthy dog was euthanised because the dog’s owner wanted to be buried with her
- A couple in Spain discovered 80,000 bees living in their bedroom wall
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.