- Priyanka Chopra Jonas spoke at the Women in the World Summit in New York on Thursday about her extravagant wedding to Nick Jonas in December.
- The couple had pre-wedding rituals, a Christian ceremony for the groom’s faith, and a Hindu ceremony for the bride’s religion.
- Chopra Jonas said that “it all happened so fast” and that they didn’t realise how many things they had agreed to include in their wedding until it happened.
- “We saw videos, and then the bill,” she said. “And we were like, ‘Oh, cool, cool, cool. Maybe we should have prepared this a little bit more.’ So that’s why it was that glorious. We weren’t prepared.”
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
“Hopefully it will be the only one,” Chopra Jonas joked of her three-day wedding festivities during an interview with Tina Brown at the Women in the World Summit in New York on Thursday.
The couple got married in two wedding ceremonies – a Christian one for Jonas’ religion on December 1, and a Hindu one for Chopra Jonas’ faith on December 2 – at Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India. They also had pre-wedding events and multiple receptions following their nuptials.
“I knew it was going to be three days, because Indian weddings do have pre-rituals,” Chopra Jonas said. “And I knew that both of us wanted one wedding in each of our religions, so that was two days anyway. But it all happened so fast. We decided to prep this wedding in October, and we got married first of December.”
She said that in those weeks before their wedding they would say, “That sounds great! Sure! Let’s get that!” and that they “did not realise it until it was done.”
“We saw videos, and then the bill,” she said. “And we were like, ‘Oh, cool, cool, cool. Maybe we should have prepared this a little bit more.’ So that’s why it was that glorious. We weren’t prepared.”
Chopra Jonas and Jonas started communicating in 2016 and met in February 2017 at a Vanity Fair Oscars party. They got engaged in July and shared the news with fans last August, after celebrating with both of their families in India.
On November 30, the couple held a Mehendi, a traditional ceremony that involves applying henna to the bride in preparation for the wedding ceremony, and a Sangeet, a celebration that included their families singing, dancing, and competing against each other.
The following day, they exchanged vows in a Christian ceremony that Jonas’ father officiated. The groomsmen included Jonas’ brothers – Frankie Jonas, Joe Jonas, and Kevin Jonas – and Chopra Jonas’ brother, Siddharth Chopra. For the Hindu ceremony,the couple wore intricate custom designs by Sabyasachi.
After getting married, the couple held several receptions to accommodate their friends and family in India and the US. They rang in the new year with their families and then honeymooned in the Caribbean.
Watch the video from the Women in the World Summit below. Chopra Jonas talks about their wedding at 18:10.
- Read more about Priyanka Chopra Jonas:
- Priyanka Chopra says that Miley Cyrus is ‘amazing’ and hopes to go on a double date with her and husband Liam Hemsworth
- Andy Cohen says he tried to set up Priyanka Chopra and Sebastian Stan, but she was already secretly dating Nick Jonas
- Joe Jonas said he’d rather vacation with Nick and Priyanka over Kevin and Danielle, but he has a really good reason
- Priyanka Chopra shared the sweetest message for future sister-in-law Sophie Turner on her 23rd birthday
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.