- Buckingham Palace and Norfolk Police confirmed that 97-year-old Prince Philip surrendered his driver’s licence on Saturday.
- The news comes nearly a month after after Prince Philip was involved in a car crash near Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.
- Prince Philip was unharmed in the crash, but a woman in another vehicle was injured.
Prince Philip, 97, is voluntarily giving up his driver’s licence after getting into a car crash last month.
“After careful consideration The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence,” a Buckingham Palace spokesperson told the BBC.
Buckingham Palace said he surrendered his licence on Saturday.
The news comes nearly a month after Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth, was involved in a car crash near the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.
At the time, the duke was pulling out of his driveway in his Land Rover Freelander when he collided with a Kia. His car ended up on its side following the collision.
The duke apologised to a woman who was injured in the crash. He was left unharmed.
At the time, Philip suggested that he did not see the Kia because of the bright sun.
Shortly after, when Philip was pictured driving without a seatbelt, Norfolk Police gave him “suitable words of advice,” the BBC said.
Norfolk Police confirmed that Prince Philip handed over his licence on Saturday.
Officials said it will be returned to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.
The Crown Prosecution Service is investigating the collision.
- Read more:
- 97-year-old Prince Philip got into a car accident while driving
- 97-year-old Prince Philip had a replacement car delivered the day after his accident amid calls for him to stop driving
- Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip are actually related – here’s how
- The Queen and Prince Philip still share a special touch and knowing looks after 71 years of marriage – here’s what the body language experts say about them
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.