Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are definitely going to Africa in the fall

After months of speculation, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s visit to Africa has been officially confirmed.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will embark on a tour of South Africa in the fall, the British High Commissioner to South Africa confirmed on Wednesday.

Speaking at a press conference in Pretoria, Guateng, Nigel Casey said: “They are going to be coming back to visit us in South Africa this autumn.

“That’s great news for us. I predict it’s also good news for the South African economy, because I predict a hat and frock buying frenzy to rival even SONA [the country’s State of the Nation Address, which took place last Thursday], which could well restore economic growth all on its own,” he joked.

“We’re hugely looking forward to that and thanks in anticipation for that and all the support that I know we’re going to receive.”

Prince Harry and Markle confirmed the news in an Instagram post on Thursday.

“TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are excited to announce that they have been asked to carry out a tour to Southern Africa this autumn,” a spokesperson for the couple wrote on their official Instagram account.

“The Foreign and Commonwealth Office have requested a visit to South Africa, as well as The Duke carrying out visits to Malawi and Angola. His Royal Highness will also do a short working visit to Botswana on route to the other countries.

embed type
instagram
oEmbedUrl
https://api.instagram.com/oembed/?url=http://instagr.am/p/BzN8VdOlsbk&hidecaption=1
html

“The Duke and Duchess are really looking forward to meeting so many of you on the ground and continuing to raise awareness of the high impact work local communities are doing across the commonwealth and beyond,” they added.

Read more:Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing for a ‘long stay’ in Africa with baby Archie, and South Africa could be their first stop

The post also seemed to confirm that their son, Archie, will join them on the trip, adding: “This will be their first official tour as a family!”

If they do bring Archie along, he could be the youngest royal baby to travel abroad, according to royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams.

“William travelled first when he was nine months old, and George when he was eight [months old], so the precedents are there, not that a couple as independent as Harry and Meghan need precedents,” Fitzwilliams previously told INSIDER.

If the trip goes well, the couple could relocate temporarily for a period between several months and a few years, it has been reported.

Read more:Here’s what Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported move to Africa could mean for the future of the royal family

Journalist and royal biographer Katie Nicholl also told INSIDER that the couple would be likely to use the trip for a “sabbatical” instead of a permanent stay in the continent.

“Africa, Botswana in particular has always been a very special place to Harry. He calls it his spiritual home and it’s where he and Meghan fell in love so I think it’s probably high up on the couple’s wish list,” she said.

“They will be going away for a sabbatical lasting months rather than a two year stay and from what I am told they are keen to explore and experience life in different countries in the Commonwealth, an area which has been earmarked for the couple by the Queen and the Prince of Wales who are, together with the couple, instrumental in these talks.”

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.