- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle filed an invasion of privacy lawsuit against unidentified media personnel, according to The Hollywood Reporter’s Eriq Gardner.
- The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, working with celebrity attorney Michael Kump, filed the lawsuit in the state of California, where the couple currently resides with their son Archie in Los Angeles.
- They filed the lawsuit citing the extreme measures the paparazzi have been taking to capture photographs in private spaces, Gardner tweeted Thursday evening.
- “The unscrupulous people shopping these photographs have not innocently mislabeled the photographs as having been taken in a public place,” according to the lawsuit. “They have done so intentionally, because they know that unsolicited photographs of a young child in the privacy of his own home are very much unlawful.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have sued the unidentified media personnel for invasion of privacy on Thursday, The Hollywood Reporter’s Eriq Gardner reported.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex hired attorney Michael Kump, who has previously represented the Kardashian and Jenner sisters, for the invasion of privacy lawsuit against the paparazzi.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are filing this lawsuit to protect their young son’s right to privacy in their home without intrusion by photographers, and to uncover and stop those who seek to profit from these illegal actions,” Kump told the Los Angeles Times.
The lawsuit was filed in the state of California, where the couple currently resides in Los Angeles with their son Archie. The lawsuit claimed that the paparazzi have taken extreme measures to capture photographs in private spaces, Gardner tweeted Thursday evening.
“Because the couple doesn’t know who took the shots, the suit targets unnamed defendants as a way to allow them to pursue, through subpoenas, anyone peddling the photos,” according to the LA Times report.
In the suit, it mentions that in the state of California, it is “illegal to take photographs of individuals in their private homes and other private places using devices such as drones and telephoto lenses.”
“Every individual and family member in California is guaranteed by law the right to privacy in their home,” Kump told the LA Times. “No drones, helicopters or telephoto lenses can take away that right.”
The lawsuit alleges that the “unscrupulous” individuals who took photos of the family in private spaces “have not innocently mislabeled the photographs as having been taken in a public place.”
It claimed the photographs were labelled as being taken in a public place “intentionally” because the unnamed individuals “know that unsolicited photographs of a young child in the privacy of his own home are very much unlawful,” according to the lawsuit.
“The family has tried to ignore these physical and constructive trespasses as best they can, … but the plaintiffs recently learned that certain paparazzi and their enablers have crossed a red line for any parent,” the couple said in the suit, citing the LA Times report.
“The plaintiffs will not allow the tabloids to break the law, especially when it involves intimidation, harassment and the addition of a very real security threat on top of what already exists.”
Though it was filed in the US, the lawsuit also notes the Duke and Duchess’s time spent in Canada, where they resided for several weeks before moving to Los Angeles.
The lawsuit described the couple’s residence in North Saanich, Canada, as a “quiet, isolated town,” where they say they lived “unmolested” and “with no disturbance to the surrounding community.”
“But then the Daily Mail, a British tabloid, decided to publicise their exact location, which as usual resulted in up to 40 paparazzi and media organisations descending on this peaceful community from hundreds of miles away,” the lawsuit alleged.
“The resulting harassment and intimidation created disruption and discomfort for both the family and the local community,” it continued.