Looking over July’s data stream, I was rather surprised this morning to see that the number of Outlaw readers who signed up for a Visa Black Card more than tripled versus the prior month. (Our full review of the Black Card and application link can be found here, along with photos of the card.)
The carbon fibre credit card has a $495 annual fee and requires excellent credit; clearly, it is targeted toward affluent customers, and not toward those who are in the market for their first or second credit card.
As I’ve written before elsewhere, that annual fee comes out to around $41 per month — not a lot when you consider the Black Card’s 24/7 personal concierge service and myriad other benefits.
Here’s a brief rundown of benefits:
– Zero liability for unauthorised purchases.
– Purchase security: Black Card will “replace, repair or reimburse up to a maximum of $500 per claim for eligible items within the first 90 days from the date of purchase.”
– Warranty manager service: “Includes warranty registration and extended protection, which extends the original manufacturer’s warranty up to one additional year.”
– Lost luggage reimbursement: “Black Card provides you with complete peace of mind while travelling. Carry-on or checked luggage is covered up to $3,000 per trip if lost or stolen when you purchase your common carrier ticket with your Black Card.”
– Trip delay reimbursement: “Allow Black Card to take the stress out of travel delays. When a trip is delayed more than 12 hours due to a covered event, expenses incurred as a result of the delay, such as meals and lodging, are reimbursed up to $300 per ticket.”
– Roadside dispatch: “Black Card protects you when unexpected circumstances occur by providing convenient 24/7 towing and locksmith referral services in the U.S. and Canada.”
– Worldwide travel accident insurance: “As a Black Card member, you receive $250,000 worth of insurance coverage for eligible travel. This benefit provides common carrier accidental death or dismemberment coverage at no extra cost.”
– Auto rental collision damage waiver: “Offers reimbursement at no additional charge for damage due to collision or theft up to the actual value of most rental vehicles.”
– Baggage delay insurance: “Black Card will reimburse you for expenses up to $100 per day for three days for the purchase of essential items in the event of baggage delay.”
– Travel & emergency assistance services: “Rely on Black Card for assistance in coordinating medical, legal and travel services while you are away from home.”
– Trip interruption/cancellation insurance: “Receive reimbursement up to $1,500 in the event of qualifying trip cancellation or trip interruption.”
Black Card owners receive 1% cash back on purchases as well, which can be redeemed for cash back or toward airfare on any airline worldwide with no blackouts or restrictions. The card also allows you VIP access to more than 600 airport lounges around the world.
More info here.
Disclosures: We’re a credit card offers site, so obviously we maintain financial relationships with numerous banks and financial institutions, including the card issuer(s) mentioned in this article.