- Searches for costumes inspired by the dystopian TV show “Squid Game” spiked 50,000% from last week.
- Other spots on the list are filled by costumes from movies and video games.
- Profitero compiled rankings based on the most searched for costumes on Amazon.
Costumes inspired by the violent and hugely popular Netflix series “Squid Game” are dominating Halloween this year, with searches for “Squid Game” costumes exploding 50,000% compared to last week, according to data compiled by the e-commerce company Profitero.
“Squid Game,” a South Korean thriller where cash-strapped contestants compete in deadly children’s games for a chance at winning a $US38 ($AU52) million prize, debuted on Sept. 17. Now, “Squid Game costume” is the sixth most-searched term on Amazon.
“Nothing else we have seen is even remotely close to this kind of spike, which really shows how much of a cultural impact Netflix has,” said Dan Graziano, Profitero’s director of media relations. “From ‘Stranger Things’ to ‘Bridgerton’ and now ‘Squid Game,’ Netflix has an ability to take over news cycles, social media, and now Halloween… even beating the likes of Disney/Marvel characters.”
Classic Halloween costumes and outfits inspired by characters from TV, movies, and video games round out the top 10 list, which was compiled based on the most-searched-for terms on Amazon.
Here are the ten most popular Halloween costumes this year.
10. ‘Pirate costume women’
9. ‘Naruto costume’
8. ‘Dinosaur costume’
7. ‘Among Us costume’
6. ‘Fairy costume for women’
5. ‘Harley Quinn costume women’
4. ‘Spiderman costume’
3. ‘Witch costume for women’
2. ‘Cruella Deville costume women’
1. ‘Squid Game costume’