A majority of young people are straight-up scared about student debt, a new poll from the Harvard Institute of Politics shows.
Gawker’s Hamilton Nolan highlighted the report. The major findings:
- 42% of those aged between 18-29 report that they or someone in their household have student debt
- 57% thought student debt was a major problem (with 79% saying it’s a problem)
- 70% said that financial circumstances played an important role in their decision to go to college
- 52% of 18-29 year old black people said it played a very important role, compared to 28% of white people
- And, as Nolan flagged, 42% blame colleges and universities themselves while 30% blame the government
Here’s the graphic from the report:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.