- Joseph Diaz suffered a nasty cut during his world title challenge on Thursday in Miami.
- Diaz was attempting to win the IBF super featherweight belt from Tevin Farmer on the DAZN show, but was hit by an accidental headbutt in round two.
- The butt opened up a wide gash. Diaz was assessed by a ringside physician, and, between rounds, received treatment from his cutman.
- Diaz did not let the cut perturb him as he boxed well, earning a unanimous decision on the night.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
An American boxer was accidentally head-butted in a fight and suffered a gash so wide you could have stuck a nickel in it.
Joseph “JoJo” Diaz challenged Tevin Farmer for the latter’s IBF super featherweight world title on a DAZN show in Miami on Thursday, but was hit by an accidental butting of heads in the second round, which opened up a ghastly wound on his left eyelid.
Diaz was inspected by a ringside physician, and, between rounds, received treatment by his cutman. Undeterred, he continued to box – with great success – as he was deserving of his unanimous decision win over Farmer.
Check out that cut right here:
???? Horrific cut for Jojo Diaz caused by a clash of heads in the second round against Tevin Farmer… pic.twitter.com/LGJGUyJZ1f
— Michael Benson (@MichaelBensonn) January 31, 2020
“I knew it was pretty bad right when we clashed heads, he has a solid head, man,” Diaz told Seconds Out in the parking lot after the fight.
“I knew I had to pay no attention to it, focus on my gameplan, and apply the pressure. Keep the attack. That’s what I did.”
With a ringside verdict of 116-112, 115-113, and 115-113 from the three judges, Diaz won the IBF title from Farmer.
“I knew it was a championship fight,” Diaz added. “I didn’t want to let it go.”