- Photographer Haley Jones, 22, took an “empty nester” photo shoot of her parents before moving into her own place this month.
- Amy English and her husband, Randy, poked fun at traditional pregnancy announcement photo shoots by posing with a sign announcing Jones’ move-out date.
- The couple also took photos with their “favourite kids” – their dogs – and posed with a sign that said “so sad…” on one side and “hahahaha just kidding” on the other.
- Jones shared the photos of her parents on the Facebook page devoted to her photography business and the post quickly went viral.
- She told INSIDER that the response to the photo series has been overwhelmingly positive and that she and her parents “can’t believe this has happened or that it is STILL continuing to be shared.”
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
For many parents, becoming empty nesters can come with sadness and a feeling of nostalgia.
But for Haley Jones’ parents, having their kid move out of their home in Pontotoc, Mississippi, warranted a celebration that was hilarious enough to go viral.
Jones, a 22-year-old full-time nanny who started a photography business in January, decided to leave home and signed a lease back in March. When Jones asked her mum, Amy English, to take a photo in front of the apartment complex she would be moving into, her mum resisted.
“She wasn’t feeling it,” Jones told INSIDER. “I snapped a picture anyway and she just looked sad. She said that we should do a photo shoot closer to my moving day [instead].”
By the time Jones and her parents gathered on their family home’s front lawn to take the photos, English’s attitude about her daughter’s big move had changed significantly.
In a play on the type of photo shoots many expecting parents take to announce a pregnancy, English and her husband, Randy, posed with a sign announcing that they would become empty nesters as of June 1, 2019, or Jones’ move-out date.
In another photo, the couple poked fun at the traditional notion of “empty nest syndrome” by frowning and holding a sign with a broken heart that read “so sad….” In the accompanying photo, the duo is doubled over laughing after flipping the sign over to the other side, which says “hahahaha just kidding.”
Read more: The 50 best cities to live in the US in 2019
Jones’ parents also posed with their dogs while holding an “our favourite kids” sign and threw confetti into the air while visibly celebrating. In another photo, the couple posed with a silver “zero” and a sign that read “expecting 0 kids June 2019.”
On Tuesday, Jones shared the photo set on the Facebook page devoted to her photography business and the post quickly went viral. As of the time of this article’s writing, her post has more than 215,000 shares, 110,000 likes, and 85,000 comments.
“Like me, [my parents] still can’t believe this has happened or that it is STILL continuing to be shared,” Jones said. “It’s so strange to see their faces in the news.”
Jones said that most of the responses to the photo shoot that she’s seen have been positive, though she said there have been “a few [people] who are convinced [her] parents don’t love [her] and are cruel.”
“They just don’t get our humour!”
You can check out the entire photo series and some of Jones’ other work on the Haley Marie Photography Facebook page.
- Read more:
- A bride helped shelter dogs find a home by having her bridesmaids walk the pups down the aisle at her wedding
- Banksy got kicked out of the world’s biggest art event after crashing it to display his latest piece, but people love it anyway
- A woman shamed a wedding guest for wearing an ‘absurdly short dress,’ but a lot of people think her outfit is perfectly fine
- A bride is furious with a wedding guest who she says brought 10 containers to take food home. Here’s what an etiquette expert has to say.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.