- Country singer Jake Owen told an amazing story on Barstool Sports’ Fore Play podcast about an encounter with legendary golfer Phil Mickelson.
- Owen ran into Mickelson at Jordan Spieth’s wedding the day after his $US9 million pay-per-view match against Tiger Woods.
- After a couple of drinks, Owen called out Mickelson for his awful play against Tiger, demanding his money back.
- In response, Mickelson peeled out a wad of cash and told Owen, “Take a $US100 and go f— yourself!”
- At the Masters, Mickelson confirmed the story was true.
- Read all of Business Insider’s Masters coverage here.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Phil Mickelson did not hold back against a famous critic of his much-hyped match against Tiger Woods in 2018.
While appearing on Barstool Sports’ Fore Play podcast, country singer Jake Owen said he ran into Mickelson the day after “The Match” while attending Jordan Spieth’s wedding.
Mickelson had just won $US9 million for defeating Woods in what had been dubbed “The Match,” but neither player was hitting the ball exceptionally well, which disappointed some golf fans hoping for a down-to-the-wire round of great play.
Owen, an avid golfer himself, was one of the disappointed fans, and after a few drinks, called out Mickelson for his poor play.
“So I walked over to him,” Owen told the Fore Play podcast. “I was like, ‘Hey Phil, you owe me f—ing $US29.99!’ I was like, ‘For wasting four hours of my life with the s—iest golf I’ve ever seen! You guys hype this whole thing up about the big match? You guys couldn’t even make three birdies between the two of you? I want my $US29.99 back and apologise to me for some s— golf!'”
As Owen tells it, Mickelson responded without missing a beat, pulling out a stack of $US100 bills, and telling him “I won 90,000 of these things yesterday. Take a $US100 and go f— yourself!”
You can watch Owen recall the encounter below.
This @jakeowen story about going up to Phil Mickelson at Jordan Spieth’s wedding is just a taste of maybe the best interview we’ve ever done. Just unbelievably good stories from this legend.
— Riggs (@RiggsBarstool) April 1, 2019
Mickelson would confirm the story on Twitter, simply stating “True story” with a smiling emoji.
At the Masters, Mickelson would follow up on his confirmation. “It happened exactly like [Owen] said,” Mickelson said. “Jake nailed it. That was verbatim.”
Phil Mickelson says the Jake Owen story at Jordan Spieth’s wedding is 100% true
Whipped out $100s and everything.
“Thought he’d come show off a little bit, and I kinda shot him down” pic.twitter.com/qMrhOb65j2
— Ben Murphy WTSP (@BenMurphyTV) April 9, 2019
While tensions might have been high for a moment, Mickelson and Owen appear to have settled any beef with each other and even played together at the Waste Management Phoenix Open in January.
- Read more Masters 2019: