- Kevin Boclair, a 19-year-old in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has been hospitalized and put into a medically induced coma due to vaping-related lung injuries, his parents told CBS 3 Philly on Tuesday.
- Boclair’s mother, Deborah Boclair, said her son may need a lung replacement if he lives through the health complications.
- Boclair is one of hundreds of people who’ve been hospitalized across the country for vaping-related lung illnesses. Doctors don’t know exactly why vaping seems to be so dangerous.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more.
Yet another person’s life is in danger from a vaping-related lung injury.
On Tuesday, the parents of 19-year-old Kevin Boclair told CBS 3 Philly that their son was put in a medically induced coma three weeks ago. They believe the teen’s vaping habit caused him irreparable lung damage and put him on life support.
“The doctors are saying the chemicals in the vape actually changes the tissue of the lungs and it gets damaged, and that damaged part actually scars up and it never gets better,” the patient’s mum, Deborah Boclair, a nurse, told CBS 3.
Now, she and her husband are warning others about the dangers of vaping in hopes they can prevent others from ending up on life support.
“I even know, as a nurse, he could die. So we are hoping it gets better, and I just want his friends to know and all these kids out there – I could tell the parents, ‘tell your kids don’t do this,'” Deborah Boclair said.
Kevin Boclair is just one of many who have been hospitalized due to a vaping-related lung illness. Between June 28 and August 20, there were 193 reported lung illness cases in 22 states, according to the CDC. As of August 27, that number had reached 215 possible cases in 25 states.
In August, a man in Illinois died from vaping-related lung injury, while at least 21 others in the state have been hospitalized for breathing problems after vaping. Another death in Oregon is being investigated as vaping-related.
The FDA and doctors alike are unsure what exactly is causing these vaping-related hospitalizations and deaths, but they believe the chemicals in vape liquids could be irreparably damaging people’s lungs when inhaled.
Some e-cigarettes produce formaldehyde, a chemical that can cause lung disease, as well as acrolein, a chemical commonly found in weed killer. In 2018, The American Chemical Society found that people who inhaled acrolein sustained changes to their DNA.
The wide variety of vape juices and e-cigarettes available and a lack of FDA regulation make it difficult for health experts to pinpoint a specific chemical that could be causing lung problems, but the FDA launched an investigation into some of these products in hopes of getting much-needed answers.
- Read more:
- A 20-year-old man who used to vape every day almost died from a life-threatening lung injury, and ‘vape juice’ might be the culprit
- Here’s the real reason that Juul’s CEO is warning people against using his e-cigs
- Officials are investigating more than 200 cases of serious lung disease tied to vaping. Here are the other health risks you should know about.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.