- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer made a speech denouncing President Donald Trump’s Oval Office address on Tuesday night.
- Pelosi and Schumer said Trump’s speech was “full of misinformation” on border security and immigration.
- Their stoic appearances led many Twitter users to turn them into memes, comparing them to disappointed parents and offering them up as this year’s Oscars hosts.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer were turned into memes on Tuesday night after they fired back at President Donald Trump’s Oval Office address.
Twitter users were quick to make jokes about the pair, saying they looked like “disappointed parents.”
In his speech to the nation, Trump incorrectly declared there was a new border crisis, wrongly accused Democrats of refusing to pay for border security and falsely described the ways in which drugs come into the United States, according to the Associated Press’s fact checker.
Pelosi and Schumer slammed Trump’s statements, with the House Speaker saying his speech was “full of misinformation and even malice.”
Schumer accused Trump of using the speech to “manufacture a crisis, stoke fear, and divert attention from the turmoil in his administration.”
Their stoic appearances led the way for dozens of memes comparing the two to disappointed parents.
Your mother and I love you very much but you’re just going to have to stay in jail overnight. pic.twitter.com/gVir3sjAqO
— Brian J. White (he/him) (@talkwordy) January 9, 2019
when your godly mother finds your Nirvana cds pic.twitter.com/lAnd7SA87m
— Sarah Jones (@onesarahjones) January 9, 2019
When you get back at 4am and your parents are still up…. pic.twitter.com/9PupGsiXke
— Nick Barnicle (@nickbarnicle) January 9, 2019
"Of COURSE your father's upset about the car, but the important thing is you're safe and nobody got hurt." pic.twitter.com/KKkd67FZTv
— Lupus Haas (@Mobute) January 9, 2019
Meeting my wife's parents for the first time. https://t.co/IWbRUy993B
— Nick Wilock (@nickwilock) January 9, 2019
Others made pop culture jokes, and even suggested the pair could be this year’s Oscar hosts.
Guys. I think we found our Oscars co-hosts.
— Dave Jargowsky (@DaveJargo) January 9, 2019
Meanwhile, Christopher Walken and the mom from Everybody Loves Raymond do not look happy… pic.twitter.com/FVgUyy56b3
— Kamahl Santamaria (@KamahlAJE) January 9, 2019
tonight was a waste of time for everyone but especially me since i just spent ten minutes doing this pic.twitter.com/vDPEHBeXjX
— Ashley Feinberg (@ashleyfeinberg) January 9, 2019
— bob hope ???????? (@NaRCiSSu5_iRC) January 9, 2019
— Dan Sheehan (@ItsDanSheehan) January 9, 2019
— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) January 9, 2019
The White House countered Pelosi and Schumer’s claims on Wednesday, with White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders saying Trump is “fighting for the protection and the safety of every American citizen,” according to the Associated Press.
“The fact that the Democrats want to continue to live in denial and pretend that things that are coming across this border that bring harm to people in this country aren’t happening is frankly sad,” Sanders told “Fox and Friends.” “It’s ridiculous, and I think you saw that on full display last night in their response to the president,”
- Read more:
- People who bet on how many lies Trump would tell during his Oval Office address won more than $US270,000
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s Oval Office speech on the border ‘crisis’
- Trump reportedly didn’t even want to give his prime time address on border security and thought it was pointless
- ‘How much more American blood must we shed?’: Trump addresses the nation amid government shutdown over border-wall funding
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.