Photo: Catherine via Flickr
There’s no end to our quest for self-improvement — the urge to do everything better, smarter, faster, cooler.In this spirit, we’ve compiled our 24 best packing tips and tricks — some old standbys, some new hacks — to get you from A to B and back to A with a little more spring in your step and a little less sag in your shoulders.
1. The Golden Rules:
– Carry-on instead of checking so that you can exit the airport immediately after reaching your destination.
– Check in online 24 hours before a flight, not only to save time at the airport but also to get a better seat
2. What to Wear on the Journey: Something cozy but not schleppy. Translation: Instead of sweats, try cashmere lounge pants/leggings under a comfortable dress or comfy jeans and a sweater.
3. Bag It Up: Air-compression packing bags are miraculous, squeezing air out of clothes, giving you more room in the suitcase. Giant Ziploc bags work, too. Just roll them tight. We use Ziplocs in various sizes for everything from toiletries to wet swimming gear and always pack a few extras.
4. Head to Toes: Check that you’ve packed everything you need by mentally dressing yourself from shoes and socks up to goggles and hats.
5. Bling: Leave pricey watches and jewelry behind. If you aren’t prepared to lose it, don’t pack it. Buy a cheap Swatch for travelling and costume jewelry for show. (Bauble Bar is a great resource.)
6. Accessorize: Unless you know you are going to be causal, pack something small that can make any outfit smarter. You never know when you’ll need to look sharp. For men, an uncreasable silk knotted tie. For women, a fancy scarf.
7. Shoe trees: Pack rolled socks into your shoes (saves space, keeps shoes shaped). Separate shoes in bags and line them along the sides of the suitcase.
8. Outfits: Think about the number of outfits you need and subtract one. You still won’t wear everything you pack.
9. Charge it: Charge all phones, cameras, iPads, and laptops before getting to an airport. If you do get delayed, you won’t have to stalk outlets, which are always too few and far between. Rokit Boost makes a protective iPhone case that doubles battery life.
10. Adapters: Carry the adaptor for your destination — a multi-plug version is the best. If you’re sneaky — or are travelling to a problematic area — bring a double plug so you can share outlets with others.
11. Dopp Kit Essentials: Give up squeezing your favourite face wash into tiny tubes. Buying travel-size items of your favourite products — and laundry detergent — and keeping them at the ready in a Ziploc under your sink might seem indulgent, but it will save time, product, frustration, and your skin. 3Fl.Oz. is our favourite source for these.
In a pinch: Pack nearly empty toiletries, and leave them behind. Or just buy certain toiletries at your destination. Why shlep a big can of shaving cream when Gillette is universal?
12. Rx: Make sure you have enough medicine to cover unforeseen delays. (Remember the volcano ash cloud?) And don’t forget condoms.
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.