Prosecutors may charge parents of suspected Michigan school shooter

A police road block restricts access to Oxford High School following a shooting on November 30, 2021 in Oxford, Michigan.
A police road block restricts access to Oxford High School following a shooting on November 30, 2021 in Oxford, Michigan. Photo by Matthew Hatcher/Getty Images
  • Prosecutors are considering charging both parents of the 15-year-old suspected gunman in a Michigan school shooting.
  • Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said the suspect would be charged as an adult. 
  • “It was absolutely premeditated,” McDonald said of the Tuesday shooting that left four students dead.

The parents of the suspected gunman who police say fatally shot four students and injured seven other people at a Michigan high school on Tuesday may be facing criminal charges. 

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said Wednesday that she’s considering charging the parents of the suspect in the mass shooting at Oxford High School.

Prosecutors expected to charge the suspect, identified as 15-year-old Ethan Crumbly, as an adult with four counts of first-degree murder, one count of terrorism causing death, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and 12 counts of felony firearm possession.

McDonald said Crumbly would be charged as an adult given the serious nature of the crime and because the facts suggest that the the shooting was not an impulsive act. The terrorism count, which McDonald said is not a “typical” charge, was added to address all the children who “ran screaming and hiding under desks.”

Authorities on Tuesday said Crumbly used a pistol his father purchased just four days earlier on Black Friday. Police said the suspect surrendered a loaded gun with seven rounds of ammunition after the shooting.  

The handgun — a 9mm Sig Sauer SP 2022 pistol — had two 15-round magazines. A third magazine was also purchased by the suspect’s father but hasn’t been located, Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard said at a press conference.

McDonald told reporters that evidence suggests Crumbly started planning “well before” the incident, though she declined to elaborate further. 

“I am absolutely sure after reviewing the evidence that it isn’t even a close call,” she said. “It was absolutely premeditated.”

Crumbly is expected to be arraigned on Wednesday afternoon, according to authorities.

McDonald said her office would be making a decision shortly about whether or not to charge both of the suspect’s parents in the shooting. 

Justin Shilling, 17, Tate Myre, 16, Hana St. Juliana, 14, and Madisyn Baldwin, 17  were killed in the Tuesday shooting, and seven others, including a teacher, were left injured as of Wednesday morning.