Rents may be dropping slightly in several of America’s largest cities, but it’s always helpful to know what your money can get you.
Of course, your rent money will stretch a lot further in some cities than others. A one-bedroom apartment in New York City, for instance, goes for about $2,000 more than the same-sized apartment in Denver.
With the help of real-estate marketplace Zumper and its October national rent report, we’ve compiled a sampling of one-bedroom listings in the 20 most expensive markets in the US.
Each listing is within $100 of the respective city’s median rental price.
20. DENVER: For $1,300 a month, residents of this newly renovated apartment in a quiet residential neighbourhood are close to several parks and shopping centres.
19. ATLANTA: This spacious apartment goes for $1,295 a month and includes access to a fitness center, picnic area, and outdoor barbecue space.
This pet-friendly apartment comes complete with a balcony, hardwood floors, a walk-in closet, and air conditioning to temper Atlanta's hot summers. The complex also offers a business center, garage parking, and a pool.
18. MINNEAPOLIS: Located in the heart of Minneapolis, units in this complex start at $1,345 a month and sit close to walking trails along the West River Parkway and fine dining in Highland Park.
17. NEW ORLEANS: You can rent this 650-square-foot apartment two blocks from the French Quarter for $1,325 a month.
Neighbourhood: Treme - Lafitte
Residents can spend warm summer nights relaxing on the front balcony attached to this apartment. The unit also boasts central heat and air, in-unit laundry, granite countertops, and courtyard access.
16. PORTLAND: For $1,425 a month, you can rent an apartment minutes away from the NW 23rd shops and restaurants, as well as Macleay Park's hiking trails.
Neighbourhood: Northwest District
Built in 1938, this building showcases the architectural style of early Portland and features courtyard entrances to two units, as well as clear views of the surrounding neighbourhood.
15. PHILADELPHIA: Walking distance from Washington Square Park, this apartment boasts high ceilings and natural light for $1,425 a month.
Neighbourhood: Bella Vista - Southwark
This 663-square-foot unit features hardwood floors, granite countertops, and stainless steel appliances. Residents can also enjoy the ease of an in-unit washer/dryer and central air.
14. PROVIDENCE: Starting at $1,550 a month, apartments at The Promenade are walking distance to downtown and boast access to the building's movie theatre and indoor pool.
Rent: $1,550 to $1,600/month
Neighbourhood: Smith Hill
Units in this luxury building not only come fully furnished, but include dishwashers, on-site laundry, hardwood floors, and walk-in closets. The building itself features garage parking, a fitness center, and an outdoor space.
13. FORT LAUDERDALE: For $1,574 a month, you can rent a mint condition apartment in Fort Lauderdale's newest luxury complex.
Neighbourhood: River Oaks
This pet-friendly apartment offers stainless steel appliances, a roomy 849 square feet of space, and resort-style amenities throughout the building.
12. SAN DIEGO: You can rent a unit in this gated complex in Golden Hill -- complete with quartz countertops and in-unit laundry -- for $1,550 a month.
11. HONOLULU: You can get a spacious, furnished apartment in the heart of Hawaii's capital for $1,750 a month.
Neighbourhood: Mccully - Moiliili
This building is ripe with amenities, including an outdoor barbecue space and swimming pool. The unit itself comes partially furnished and features recently updated appliances.
10. SEATTLE: For about $1,800 a month you can rent this top floor, fully remodeled unit that's 10 minutes from Downtown.
Neighbourhood: Queen Anne
This 625 square-foot space is light and airy with hardwood floors throughout and a remodeled kitchen with stainless-steel appliances and new countertops and cabinets.
9. MIAMI: This condo located on the man-made island Brickell Key has water views from every window for under $1,900 a month.
There's a washer and dryer in unit and hardwood floors in the living and dining areas. The building is stocked with amenities including a gym, tennis courts, pool and spa, and barbecue area.
8. CHICAGO: This 650 square-foot unit is available fully furnished and boasts unobstructed lake views for $1,800 a month.
Neighbourhood: North Side
This high-floor unit has hardwood floors, in-unit washer and dryer, an upgraded kitchen, and custom-designed closets. The building boasts a sundeck, indoor pool and sauna, 24/7 door staff, and is steps from the Magnificent Mile and close to Michigan Avenue.
7. LOS ANGELES: Located across the street from Westwood Park, the units in this complex start at $2,195.
Rent: $1,995 to 2,095/month
Neighbourhood: Los Gatos
In-unit amenities include hardwood floors, washer and dryer, dishwasher, balcony, fireplace, and furnishings. There's also a swimming pool, hydrotherapy spa, and fitness center on site.
The 1920s-style building is walking distance to the Lakeview Farmer's Market and Lake Merritt, a park and bird sanctuary with more than three miles of pathways. The unit itself has wood floors, a dishwasher, and separate formal and family dining areas.
4. WASHINGTON DC: This newly renovated unit with access to a rooftop deck in Northwest DC costs $2,250 a month.
3. BOSTON: This South End condo boasts hardwood floors, a marble fireplace, and high ceilings for $2,200 a month.
Neighbourhood: South End
Located near public transportation with easy access to downtown and the financial district, this spacious apartment is a steal in South End's rapidly gentrifying market.
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Located on Manhattan's Upper East Side just six blocks from Central Park, this one-bedroom boasts West-facing city views and a 24-hour doorman, concierge service, sauna and massage room, bike storage, and access to a 15,000 square-foot private courtyard garden.
This spacious unit boasts floor-to-ceiling windows, modern appliances and fixtures, wide-plank oak flooring, and a washer and dryer. Parking is available near the building for $350 a month.
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.