OJ Simpson was released on October 1 from the Nevada prison where he spent 9 years imprisoned for attempted armed robbery. Now, the former “Trial of the Century” defendant and NFL star is looking to cash in on his first post-jail TV appearance.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, several associates of Simpson have contacted major television networks in pursuit of a seven-figure payout for his first interview, but none of the traditional media outlets are biting.
“It is treacherous,” one TV news veteran told THR, while another said they wouldn’t touch him with a “10-foot pole.”
ABC, CBS, and NBC have all reportedly passed on paying for an interview with Simpson, which would violate their news division standards. A+E Networks and Discovery have also declined.
The New York Post reported last month that Simpson would be seeking between $US3 million and $US5 million for an interview.
As THR notes, however, any money that Simpson makes would be subject to seizure for the mostly unpaid settlement that he still owes the family of Ron Goldman, after a civil jury found him liable for the killings of Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson in 1994.
The sum Simpson owes the Goldmans has grown from $US33.5 million to close to $US70 million in interest for the unpaid settlement, according to THR.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.