In his memoir, “Power Forward: My Presidential Education,” Love, now 33, explained what it was like to crisscross the nation with Obama, buying his clothes, carrying his luggage, babysitting his children, and serving his meals.
Love once upset Obama after accidentally buying him the wrong trail mix before a flight from Washington, DC, to New York City.
“The senator opened the bag of trail mix I’d bought and proceeded to pick out every M&M, holding them all in his palm like pieces of candy-coated toxic waste. ‘I’m not going to eat these,’ he said while pushing his hand in my general direction.
‘Do you want them?’ he asked, wrinkling his nose. ‘No thank you, sir,’ I answered, then made the first of what would be thousands of notes to self: No candy with the trail mix.”
Obama rejected the candies, and Love learned the president preferred his trail mix to be candy-free.
The incident resulted in what Love called “the first of what would be thousands of notes to self” about the president’s pet peeves.
Here are some other things Love learned about Obama’s likes and dislikes:
- No gum wrapped in tiny papers; he prefers plastic-packed Dentyne Ice
- Only “normal” Nicorette gum, not special flavours
- No candy in trail mix
- No energy bars with fruit pieces
- Salads are OK, but only in emergencies (because it’s difficult to eat salad in a car)
- Ranch dressing or vinaigrette on salads
- Sandwiches are ideal
- Never mayonnaise; he hates mayonnaise
- Grilled fish or chicken
- Nothing battered
- Nothing fried
- No fast food
- No soda
- No coffee
- He likes to have orange juice or green tea in the morning
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.