- Nvidia received a $US350 price target at Needham – the most bullish on Wall Street.
- The chipmaker on Wednesday launched AI data center platform TensorRT, which could deliver the industry’s most advanced inference acceleration.
- Nvidia last month unveiled a new lineup of video cards, GeForce RTX series, which can perform real-time ray tracing thanks to its new Turing architecture.
- Watch Nvidia trade in real time here.
Nvidia shares jumped more than 2% early Friday after Needham raised its price target to $US350 a share – the most bullish on Wall Street – saying its dominance in artificial intelligence and has it well positioned to capitalise on the next wave of computing.
“We see striking parallels between Nvidia’s dominance in Artificial Intelligence/ Machine learning and the ‘Wintel’ platform during the era of PC computing,” Needham analyst Rajvindra Gill in a note sent out to clients on Friday. Wintel comes from two words “Windows” and “Intel” and refers to all personal computers based on the Intel microprocessor and one of the Windows operating system from Microsoft.
The new TensorRT will help Nvidia grab a larger share of the inference market, Gill said.
“We think that its unified CUDA platform combined with its proprietary interconnect and comprehensive inference/training software makes it uniquely positioned to capitalise on this next wave of computing,” he added.
Last month, the company unveiled a new lineup of video cards – GeForce RTX series. The flagship card will have 11 GB of memory with 4352 CUDA cores, a 20% jump from the previous generation. Based on its new Turing GPU architecture, the video cards can realise real-time ray tracing, a technology that allows for more cinematic and realistic rendering for animation or video games. It’s the first time this technology has been widely available to every day consumers.
Nvidia shares are up 37% this year.
- Morgan Stanley says industrial companies will dominate the market going forward – here are the 8 stocks they love the most
- A fund manager who’s crushing nearly all of her peers breaks down 3 under-the-radar stocks driving her strong performance
- A Wall Street expert dispels a huge myth about the $US5 trillion ETF market – and explains why tech employees are the big winners of the industry’s explosion
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.