- The older we get, the more expensive and difficult it can be to manage our health.
- From home care to assisted living, to nursing homes, there’s a number of ways to get extra support to keep elderly people’s health in control, with varying prices.
- A private nursing home room, for instance, can cost as little as $US5,293 a month or as high as $US27,573 depending on which state you live in.
- Here’s how much a nursing home room costs in each of the 50 states.
As we grow older and our health isn’t what it used to be, the time might come for a conversation about whether getting extra help.
From home care to assisted living, to nursing homes, there’s a number of ways to get extra support to keep elderly people’s health in control, with varying prices.
For instance, the cost of a private room in a nursing home can vary wildly by state, from as low as $US5,293 a month in Oklahoma to as high as $US27,573 a month in Alaska.
Here’s a look at the median monthly cost of a private nursing home room in every state, according to survey data collected by Genworth, an insurance company that provides long-term care insurance.
Keep reading to see the 10 most expensive states.
10. Delaware, $US10,950 per month
Delaware is among the most expensive states, at $US10,950 per month. According to US Census data, the state had about 174,128 residents 65 and older in 2017.
9. New Hampshire, $US11,102 per month
New Hampshire has about 236,157 residents 65 and older. For those who choose to receive nursing home care, the cost is about $US11,102 per month.
8. North Dakota, $US11,690 per month
North Dakota is another state with more expensive costs associated with nursing home care. The state has 113,208 residents 65 and older.
7. West Virginia, $US11,702 per month
For West Virginia’s 351,599 residents 65 and older, those who stay in a nursing home are looking at paying around $US11,702 per month.
6. New Jersey $US11,863 per month
New Jersey has about 1,418,603 residents 65 and older, of which more than 200,000 are 85 and older. Those who opt to stay in a nursing home can expect to pay about $US11,863 per month.
5. New York, $US12,189 per month
New York also has a large population of residents 65 and older at more than 3.1 million. Elderly residents who opt for nursing home care can expect to pay around $US12,189 per month.
4. Massachusetts, $US12,775 per month
Massachusetts has about 1,1 million residents 65 and older. Its median cost for a nursing home is $US12,775 per month.
3. Hawaii, $US13,657 per month
For Hawaii’s 253,560 residents 65 and older, the median cost of a nursing home is $US13,657 per month.
2. Connecticut, $US13,733 per month
Connecticut has 602,410 residents aged 65 and older. For those living in nursing homes, the price is the second-highest in the country at $US13,733 per month.
1. Alaska, $US27,573 per month
Alaska is the most expensive state for a nursing home stay at $US27,573 a month. The state has 82,580 residents 65 and older.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.