- A fire ravaged the iconic Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris on Monday.
- French President Emmanuel Macron has vowed to rebuild the 800-year-old landmark.
- French game publisher Ubisoft, the company behind “Assassin’s Creed Unity,” could be an unlikely source of help: The game contains a lavishly detailed, historically accurate depiction of Notre-Dame Cathedral.
- The game is set during the French Revolution, and it allows players to explore every inch of Notre-Dame as its main centrepiece. New videos showcase what it looks like.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
A fire on Monday devastated the iconic Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris.
The structure, including its two main towers, remains intact, but its spire collapsed before firefighters could contain the blaze. French President Emmanuel Macron has vowed to rebuild the famous cathedral, tweeting in French: “We will rebuild it. All together.”
One potential source of help in those efforts is the 2014 video game “Assassin’s Creed Unity,” which is set in Paris.
That’s because the game, which takes place during the French Revolution, has a lavishly detailed, historically accurate depiction of Notre-Dame Cathedral.
In the wake of this week’s fire at Notre-Dame, YouTube users have started creating detailed walkthroughs of the cathedral in game. Given the game’s graphical fidelity and stunningly accurate depiction, these walkthroughs offer an amazing opportunity to pore over every inch of the cathedral.
The game’s main character, a Frenchman named Arno, is able to explore the entire cathedral, both inside and out. From the stunning interior …
… to impossible overhead shots you couldn’t actually experience in real life. In fact, a signature element of “Assassin’s Creed” games is the ability to climb to the very top of iconic structures.
As detailed in a 2014 feature published in The Verge, Caroline Miousse, an Ubisoft level artist, spent two years poring over details of the cathedral to create as accurate a depiction as possible in the game.
“I made some other stuff in the game, but 80% of my time was spent on the Notre-Dame,” she said at the time.
While the effort to rebuild the iconic cathedral could benefit from the designers’ work, it’s unclear whether their work will be referenced.
Source: The Verge
One YouTube user’s extremely thorough walkthrough offers a much deeper look at the game’s lovingly detailed re-creation of Notre-Dame Cathedral — check it out below.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.