- North Korea’s state-run media outlet said on Friday that its country successfully carried out a test of a new “high-tech tactical weapon” that met “all superior and powerful designing indicators.”
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visited a test site to inspect the weapon, according the Korean Central News Agency.
- High-ranking officials were also said to have attended the event, include Jung Cheon Park, an artillery commissioner.
North Korea’s state-run outlet said on Friday that its country successfully carried out tests of a new “high-tech tactical weapon” that met “all superior and powerful designing indicators.”
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visited a test site to inspect the weapon, according to a Korean Central News Agency statement first reported by South Korean news organisation Yonhap News.
“The state-of-the-art weapon that has been long developed under the leadership of our party’s dynamic leadership has a meaning of completely safeguarding our territory and significantly improving the combat power of our people’s army,” KCNA said.
The weapons test is the first reported by North Korea since Kim and the President Donald Trump met during a joint summit in Singapore this summer.
North Korea’s media reportedly did not mention any specifics about the weapon itself, but did state it had been in development since his father, Kim Jong Il, was in power. High-ranking officials were also said to have attended the event, include Jung Cheon Park, an artillery commissioner.
Signs of an underground nuclear test, such as seismic activity, were not reported, according to North Korea monitoring organisation NK News.
The report of the weapons test comes shortly after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was supposed to have met with his North Korean counterpart, Kim Yong Chol, in New York earlier in November. The talks were scrapped abruptly by the North Koreans, according to the State Department. The government agency says the discussions are ongoing.
Word of the weapons test comes amid the reaffirmation of a potential second summit between Trump and Kim. On Thursday, Vice President Mike Pence said Trump plans to meet Kim next year, the second such meeting after the two met in Singapore in June.
“The plans are ongoing,” Pence said. “We believe that the summit will likely occur after the first of the year, but the when and the where of that is still being worked out.”
Pence added that the meeting would not be predicated on the US’ previous demand that North Korea disclose a full list of nuclear arms, but he stressed that the leaders must “come away with a plan for identifying all of the weapons in question.”
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.