- Kim Jong Un has been described as one of the world’s scariest dictators.
- His birthday is on January 8, however records conflict on his birth year. This year, Un travelled on his personal armoured train to China to spend his birthday with President Xi Jinping.
- As a child, Kim Jong Un attended a boarding school in Switzerland and loved basketball.
- Watch the video above to learn how the youngest leader in North Korea’s history rose to power.
- Watch Next: A North Korean defector tells us what life was like under a dictatorship
This video was originally published on January 18, 2016. Lamar Salter and Jeremy Bender contributed to this story.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.