We all have that one coworker: the person who traps you in lengthy conversations or distracts you throughout the day.
Since there’s no polite way to tell someone to go away, most of us get stuck waiting for that person to leave.
That’s where a new Google Chrome Extension called Nope comes in. Created by Breather — the service that lets you rent workspaces by the hour — Nope is incredibly simple, but effective.
Here’s how it works:
- Install the extension on your Chrome browser
- A green button with an “N” on it will appear on the top right-hand side of your browser window
- Click on the button. You’ll be asked to enter your phone number, then click “Activate”
- When someone comes over to your desk you don’t want to talk to, or a conversation is going on too long, subtly click the button again
- Wait about three seconds, and you’ll get a call from a New York City area code on your phone
When you pick up, you’ll hear a recording of a man with a very deep voice, who quietly instructs you on what to do next.
“OK. Fake some laughter, roll your eyes, and shrug at them with a smile,” he says. “Still looking? Fine. Repeat these words after me: ‘Yes, of course I can talk now. Whats the matter?’ Works every time.”
After that, you’ll hear some advertising for Breather. The man on the phone supplies you with a code to try Breather out for yourself, but you’re not obligated to use the service.
You can download the Nope button in the Chrome Web Store.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.