- Nipsey Hussle had a planned meeting with the LAPD and Los Angeles Police Commission President Steve Soboroff to discuss gang violence in the city on Monday.
- He was shot and killed outside his store Marathon Clothing on Sunday, a day before the scheduled meeting.
- The rapper was a former gang member and used his celebrity status to give back to his community in Los Angeles.
Grammy-nominated rapper Nipsey Hussle was supposed to meet with the Los Angeles Police Department to discuss gang violence the day after he was fatally shot outside of his LA store, officials revealed.
The 33-year-old rapper, whose real name is Ermias Asghedom, was shot and killed on Sunday outside Marathon Clothing, a store that he owned in LA.
President of the Los Angeles Police Commission, Steve Soboroff, told the Washington Post that Hussle was supposed to meet with him and the city’s police chief on Monday “to talk about ways he could stop gang violence and help us help kids.”
Hussle was previously a member of the Rollin’ 60s, which he called“one of the biggest Crip gangs of our generation” in 2014.
“I grew up in gang culture,” Hussle told the Los Angeles Times in 2018. “We dealt with death, with murder. It was like living in a war zone, where people die on these blocks and everybody is a little bit immune to it.”
The rapper was a native of South Los Angeles and used his celebrity status to give back to his community. In addition to his clothing store in the city, Hussle opened a fish market, a barbershop, and a co-working space and STEM center for children.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Hussle’s death on Twitter on Sunday evening.
“Our hearts are with the loved ones of Nipsey Hussle and everyone touched by this awful tragedy,” he said. “L.A. is hurt deeply each time a young life is lost to senseless gun violence. My Crisis Response Team is assisting the families coping with shock and grief.”
Police said two other men were injured in the shooting, and officers are still investigating a motive.
- Read more:
- Grammy-nominated rapper Nipsey Hussle killed outside his LA clothing store
- Jussie Smollett’s lawyer suggested that the Nigerian men who claim the actor hired them to stage a hate crime could have been wearing ‘whiteface’
- The man accused of kidnapping Jayme Closs and killing her parents has pleaded guilty
- A man who raped his neighbour and offered to do yard work to ‘make up for it’ was sentenced to 50 years in prison
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.