- Nicole Kidman appeared on NBC’s “Today” show on Monday and elaborated on recent comments she made about her previous marriage to Tom Cruise.
- In an essay for New York Magazine, the actress said that being married to Cruise from 1990 to 2001 offered her protection from being sexually harassed.
- Kidman told Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb that because she was married at 23, she “wasn’t going to parties or I wasn’t going out a lot.”
- Kidman added that when they adopted their first child two years later, most of her time was spent at home or working.
- The “Boy Erased” star explained that she prefers not to discuss being married to Cruise because it’s “disrespectful” to him and her current husband Keith Urban, who she has two children with.
The “Boy Erased” star appeared on NBC’s “Today” show on Monday and elaborated on her recent profile that appeared in New York Magazine. In the essay, Kidman said that being married to Cruise from 1990 to 2001 offered her protection from being sexually harassed.
Kidman began by emphasising that she didn’t write the essay. Rather, she spoke to a reporter and “that’s a very, put into one sentence way in which I was talking.”
The 51-year-old went on to say that being with Cruise and having a family provided a sense of security and safety. During their marriage, the couple adopted two children, Connor and Isabella.
“Because I was married at 23 years old, I wasn’t going to parties or I wasn’t going out a lot,” Kidman said. “I was pretty much at home. I had my first child at 25 and I was a married … I was in a family. So my sense of being in the world was … I was working, or I was at home.”
When Savannah Guthrie asked Kidman if she believed “people were afraid to mess with you, because he [Cruise] was so powerful,” the actress said: “When I say ‘protection’ there is almost like a barrier. A lot of women don’t have that. A lot of people in the world don’t have that.”
Kidman added that now she is “happily married” to singer Keith Urban (they tied the knot in 2006), has two children with him (daughters Sunday and Faith), and prefers not to talk about previous relationships because it’s disrespectful.
“I also don’t like discussing exes and all of that because I’m married,” she said. “I’m very happily married. I have two little girls and I feel it’s almost disrespectful one, to Tom, and disrespectful to Keith, so I try to stay in the here and now.”
Watch the video below (Kidman talks about Cruise at 2:57).
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.