- Former Golden State Warriors guard Nick Young once challenged Stephen Curry to a halfcourt shooting contest despite teammates warning him not to.
- Curry reportedly made the first shot and won the bet.
- Young said he learned his lesson about betting with Curry.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories
Stephen Curry is widely known for having unlimited range on the basketball court, but former Golden State Warriors guard Nick Young apparently thought he could challenge him anyway.
The Athletic’s Marcus Thompson wrote in 2017 that Young, a career 37.6% three-point shooter, decided to challenge Curry to a halfcourt shooting contest early on in Young’s Warriors career. He challenged Curry despite Draymond Green warning him not to.
Young told Thompson it didn’t go well.
“The first one,” Young said. “He stepped right up and – the first one. I learned right then. Don’t bet that dude.”
It’s unclear how much money was at stake, but given Curry’s range, it stands to reason that he’s made a lot of money off of shooting contests over the course of his career.
Of course, Young should have been privy to this. Not only did he see Curry up-close in practice, Curry’s warmup routine became a national sensation two years ago. He regularly drains halfcourt shots to finish his pregame workouts.
- Read more:
- There is an emerging debate about whether the Warriors are better without Kevin Durant, and it could impact a massive offseason
- The 2019 NBA free agent class is stacked and has the potential to alter the league – here are the best players available
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW: The players that teams are kicking themselves for drafting before Giannis Antetokounmpo in 2013
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.