- Neymar has recognised his poor behaviour after he appeared to lash out at a fan on video who had reportedly mocked his performance.
- PSG was taken into extra-time after a 2-2 draw in the French Cup final on Saturday, before suffering a shock penalty shoot-out loss as Rennes emerged triumphant.
- When the PSG players walked through the crowd to collect their losers medals, Neymar stopped to talk to a fan. The forward then appeared to throw a punch at him.
- The fan, identified as Edouard, was apparently verbally abusive to a number of PSG players but the 28-year-old maintains his innocence.
- Edouard said he suffered a busted lip and a bloody nose and did not insult Neymar. But did tell the player the team “had been useless,” he said, according to AFP.
- Read all of Business Insider’s coverage for the 2018-2019 soccer season right here.
- Visit Business Insider’s home page for more stories.
Neymar has admitted that he “reacted badly” when he appeared to hit a soccer fan on video shortly after Paris Saint-Germain suffered a shock loss in the French Cup final.
The incident occurred in the crowd, when Neymar was collecting his loser’s medal after Rennes beat PSG in a penalty shootout following a 2-2 draw on Saturday.
The fan seemingly said something to Neymar, who stopped as if he was expecting to take a selfie with the fan. But rather than pose for a photograph, the forward was seen thrusting his right hand at the fan.
The Guardian published two camera angles of the incident.
Watch the incident here:
— Guardian sport (@guardian_sport) April 28, 2019
Agence France-Presse reports that the fan, identified as a 28-year-old delivery driver called Edouard, had taunted many PSG players according to Alex Bernardo, a friend of Neymar’s.
Bernardo said Edouard called the PSG goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon “dirty,” the midfielder Marco Verratti “racist,” and said Neymar needed to “go and learn to play football” even though the forward scored one goal and created another in the match itself. The soccer data website Whoscored.com gave Neymar a perfect score of 10/10 for his performance in the cup final, rendering Edouard’s apparent criticism questionable.
Regardless, Neymar has recognised that his behaviour was poor. “Did I act badly?” Neymar asked in an Instagram comment, as reported by AFP. “Yes. But no one can stay indifferent.”
Edouard, meanwhile, said the punch left him with a bloody nose and a cut lip but maintains he “did not insult” Neymar. “I told him that they had been useless,” he said.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.